Monday, April 22, 2013

You've Got to Be Kidding Me

You know what I love about Facebook?  I love the vast wealth of information.  It absolutely fascinates me how quickly information can be spread to a wide variety of people in just a very short time.

While I'd love to think that there's truckloads of great, helpful, and encouraging information being broadcasted all over Facebook, unfortunately there's also crap like this:



(The listed steps: 1) Pump and measure milk 2) Enter info online 3) receive personalized report)

  Yesterday I came across this garbage in one of the Facebook groups I'm a part of.  My first instinct was to think it was a fake.  I've seen funny photos of phony products (like a cell phone that also makes coffee for you).  Surely this was a scam too!

Oh no.  It wasn't.  The more I realized that it was completely real, the angrier I got.  I wanted to pull my hair out, scream at the top of my lungs and throw my coffee cup through a window.

This company advertises a desire to "give moms confidence to continue breastfeeding", but this product will do nothing but the opposite for many women. 

I understand the common concern women have about how much milk they are making, afterall there are no "ounce" marks on our breasts, nor is our baby able to tell us how much she's getting in one sitting.  I myself was a VERY flat chested woman prior to giving birth, and my son was always rather skinny.  Pumping was depressing because I never got much more than just a couple ounces.  I was constantly worried about my supply.  Since then I've successfully breastfed two more children.  I've learned a few things in that time.

For most women breastfeeding is totally do-able, even for us "flat chested" mamas.  Smaller storage space does not mean you won't produce enough.  It might mean you have to feed more often, but it doesn't disqualify you from being able to create enough milk for your baby.  It's been documented that there are even men who have wet-nursed their children after the mother's died and there was no other option.  MEN!  I promise, if he with his zero "storage space" can do it, you can too.


By the time the above information isn't enough, it's probably time to talk to a professional anyway. 

I'll make you a deal, rather than waste your hard earned money on a gimmick that may or may not ease your mind, why don't you invest that money in a real person?  The package goes for $10, so here's what I'll do.  For $10 I'll give you one hour of my time.  One hour where you'll get to talk to a birth professional and mom who has successfully breastfed three children (and plans on feeding more).  One hour where you have access to a real live woman who understands your fears and is dedicated to encouraging you with real information.  One hour with a woman who will be able to give you encouragement and help point you in the right direction if you really DO need to talk to a professional Lactation Consultant.  The FAQs even state that this product is limited and advice from a professional (or more money and further testing with them) will be warranted if you have concerns. 

Let me tell you something - if you used this product and it told you your supply was fine, you never needed it to start with.  If you used this product and it said there was a problem, you needed more than this product could offer to begin with and you just wasted $10.

Contact me and put that $10 to far better use!  I'll also be happy to debunk all their FAQs for you ;)


__________________
*EDIT 4/24/2013*

Today I was ecstatic to read an article stating that the company who produced this product is discontinuing it due to negative feedback.  However, my offer for breastfeeding assessment and encouragement still stands!  I will be labeling this on my classes page with more information about scheduling a phone call!


No comments:

Post a Comment